BB Guns At The Club

General club information
Andy
Site Admin

BB Guns At The Club

Postby Andy » 15 Jan 2012, 18:06

All.

It has been agreed at the AGM that members wishing to shoot BB guns at the club, should have suitable eye protection.
This is for general health and saftey, and brings us in line with what other clubs are doing.

Members cooperation would be appreciated.

GerryW

Re: BB Guns At The Club

Postby GerryW » 15 Jan 2012, 19:12

OK, but 2 questions
1/ Will all members on the 'firing line' be required to wear them if a BB gun is being used?
2/ Will the club have supplies of these on hand?
Pity we had to rush off today.
Any other H&S things?

SteveC
Site Admin

Postby SteveC » 15 Jan 2012, 21:02

We will be getting a 'few' pairs of safety glasses for general use. It cant be expected that everyone on the line wears goggles so I guess there may have to be a BB area at the far end of the line otherwise it would make a mockery of goggle wearing for the BB shooter alone.
Committee bloke. Daystate. :) TX200. :)
Hammerli. :) Anschutz, hmmm.

GerryW

Postby GerryW » 15 Jan 2012, 21:24

Thanks, was just thinking that if it was the case of everyone wearing them, I'd have to find somewhere in the car to stick a pair in so that we'd have them with us all the time (I take it that the 'industrial safety glasses' type and/or toughened lenses in spectacles are OK? - hope so, as I pay enough to have my specs done to that level)

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » 15 Jan 2012, 21:45

Its a little bit of a case of common sense as I see it.
Not a lot of pistol shooting gets done, but with the very nature of BB's, it could lead to some one getting one in the eye.

As I see it, the shooter should have some form of eye protection. Lets face it, even a pair of sun glasses would do !
If people choose to join that person on the line, then the club will make available some glasses for their protection.
The equipment will be there, but it will have to be on the spectators own head to use the equipment provided.

Someone six foot further down the line would be at little / no risk, but I guess we could just nominate an area ??

Open to all on this and how best to do it.

Its just good practice that most other clubs have adapted, so we should look to do the same.

BUT, its by no means ment to stop anybody shooting pistols or having fun !

All input welcome, as always.

GerryW

Postby GerryW » 16 Jan 2012, 19:25

Was trying to get things straight in my head Andy, didn't think it would be taken as an against. H&S is needed at a gun club, and it has to be seen to be implimented, but it also needs to be at a 'sensible' level, otherwise the club will lose members to a more 'relaxed' club. Still think that a 'dedicated' pistol area would be best (and then anybody in that area would need eye protection, easily 'enforced'), but nowhere to site it, as we've discussed in the past.
(BTW, who was the old boy with the camera Sunday?)

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » 16 Jan 2012, 19:54

GerryW wrote:(BTW, who was the old boy with the camera Sunday?)

I have no idea mate :o :D

GerryW

Postby GerryW » 16 Jan 2012, 20:14

Andy wrote:
GerryW wrote:(BTW, who was the old boy with the camera Sunday?)

I have no idea mate :o :D

Keep an eye on the Gazette, to see if any stories about people with guns in woods crop up :o ;)

SteveC
Site Admin

Postby SteveC » 17 Jan 2012, 07:05

Didnt catch his name but hes a potential new member. I think he'll be up the club this sunday with his tx200.
Committee bloke. Daystate. :) TX200. :)
Hammerli. :) Anschutz, hmmm.

Bazza

Postby Bazza » 17 Jan 2012, 20:04

As the one who showed the potential member around, he appears to be a seasoned shooter (his name is Bob). I understand he has two .22 airguns and has just bought a .177 AA TX200. I think he just likes photography and was interested in the ground and how we shoot.
On the subject of BB's I can vouch for the harm these guns can cause. Some years ago before I took up FT I bought a Webley Vulcan for myself and an underlever BB rifle for my son (he was about 8 at the time). We plinked away merrily in the back garden when one of his BB's ricocheted off the garden wall (about 20-25 yards away) straight in to his eye. He was whisked off to hospital and after a couple of days regained his sight. At no stage were we advised by the gun shop to wear protective eye wear. From that, you will gather, I am rather wary of them.

Return to “Club Announcements”